Chapter -2 Introduction and Summary (Part One) (L-13)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Suratul-Baqarah is the second Chapter of Holy Qur-‘aan. It was revealed in Madinah. This Surah is the longest Chapter of Holy Qur-’aan. It contains 286 verses and 40 sections. Baqarah means “the Cow”. It has been named, ‘Al-Baqarah because an event in respect of ‘A Cow’ has been described in it.
The most important teachings regarding beliefs and deeds have been included in it. It is stated that Umar (Radi Allaahu ‘Anhu), Companion of Messenger (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him), took many years to understand this Surah. It does not mean “learning by heart”, but “learning and understanding the Commandments and Instructions mentioned in it”. An abstract of its subjects has been explained as under:
1. At first, it has been described in this Chapter that Holy Qur-’aan is Guidance for those people who fear Allah Almighty and there is a foundation of abstinence in their hearts.
2. After hearing the Commandments mentioned in Holy Qur’aan, three kinds of people will grow as it happens in the world in relation to every new movement. First, the Believers, who will have full faith in it. Second, the Infidels, who will oppose it and the third, such Hypocrites, who will show themselves as believers but actually their hearts will deny it.
3. After that, the first commandment for the entire people is that they should worship Allah only, and the Truth of Holy Qur-’aan has been proved.
4. In the fourth section, Birth of Adam (peace be upon Him) his entitlement as a vicegerent on the earth has been mentioned. Then, from fifth section to onward, recitation in respect of a big dynasty’s life “The Children of Israel” begins. Hundreds of Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them) were born in this dynasty. Allah Almighty narrated the circumstances of this dynasty “as a lesson to be taken” and it was also described that this nation did not remain capable of God’s viceroy due to its evil deeds and wickedness.
5. From section 5 to 15, many incidents of the history of the Children of Israel have been stated; for example, their covenants and agreements, splendor of God on the Mount Sinai, the incident of the Day of Saturday (Sabbath), the event of The Cow, circumstances of slaying the Prophets (peace be upon Them), impure efforts of enchantment, charm and magic, unfair conduct of disgracing the Prophets (peace be upon Them), false faiths about forgiveness and deliverance on the Day of Judgment etc.
6. With effect from the section-16 onward, more events and incidents in respect of the Children of Israel, birth of The Last Prophet and Messenger Muhammad (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) in Arab from the generation of Adam (peace be upon Him) have been explained. Moreover, there is also recitation on The Square Building of Makkah (Masjid ul Haraam). And the higher grades in respect of the Martyrs in the Way of Allah have been explained here.
7. In section-20, the Signs of the Power of God Almighty have been discussed along with the matters relating to the Forbidden and Lawful things.