Quran Chptr 2-48 (Pt-1,Stg-1)(L-79) -درس قرآن
Reckoning of personal deeds on Doomsday
Surah ‘Al-‘Baqarah (The Cow) – Chapter – 2)
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
48. And guard yourselves against a Day when no soul will in aught avail another, nor will intercession be accepted from it, nor will compensation be received from it, nor will they be helped.
48. WattaquuYawmal-laa tajzii nafsun ‘an-nafsin- shay-‘anw-wa laa yuqbalu minhaa shafaa-‘atunw-wa laa yu’-khazu minhaa ‘ad-lunw-wa laa hum yun-saruun.
Yawmun – (the Day), here it aims the Day of Resurrection. It is necessary for giving up the worldly amusements and performing good deeds that the Faith in the Day of Resurrection or Rewards and punishment on one’s deeds should exist in the religion, so that the people would have to leave their evils and bad acts due to the concept of that Day and do good works having the hope of rewards. With the passage of time, the Belief in the Day of Resurrection had been exterminated from the hearts of the Jews, so they are being warned of the Day of Judgment.
‘Ad-lun – (justice, revenge, reward, exchange, equality, accuracy, rivalry etc.), if remuneration or compensation is given for anything, that is considered equal to the capital. So the word ‘ad-lun is used as the exchange. It also means justice or equity because by doing justice among two parties, it becomes equity.
It was the concept of the Jews, “As how much we commit evils and sins, we shall not be punished because our forefathers were Prophets (peace be upon them). They will cause to forgive us”. God Almighty commands that such faith of theirs was totally false. The guilty would have to be punished for his sins properly.
Usually, there are four forms to set the criminal free:
- Any other individual should admit that the crime was committed by him (instead of the actual guilty).
- Set the guilty free on anyone’s recommendations.
- Let him off by paying some compensation (cash).
- Get him free violently.
There is no any such form out of the above, which may be of use for the evildoer on the Day of Judgment.
On the Day of Resurrection, every individual will think about him/herself only. Nobody will be able to recommend any other without the permission of God Almighty. He does not need any wealth and property that the ransom may be accepted by Him. There is no such power in the heavens and in the earth, which may compel God Almighty and set the sinners free from Him, Who is the Most High.
Allah Almighty rendered the faith of the Jews null and void by revealing the verse under discussion and caused to know them that they should come back towards the straight path having fear of the Day of Resurrection.